July 11, 2014

healthy chocolate muffins (120 cal)







Once in while, I have a craving for sweets -- chocolate, muffins, croissants, you name it.  Instead of running to the nearest bakery to satisfy my craving, I try to keep a batch of healthy baked goods on hand.  

Over the past year or so, I've experimented with quite a few healthy baking recipes, and can say that my top priority when baking is definitely keep the calorie count in check.  Thus, I usually avoid using oils, butters (including nut butters), sugar, dried fruits, and other high caloric sweeteners.  Instead, I usually substitute sugar with zero calorie liquid stevia, oils/butters with applesauce or mashed fruits, and high caloric sweeteners with spices.  Spices are definitely my secret ingredient as it gives my healthy snacks a bit of punch without the calories and fat.

My healthy chocolate muffin recipe is slightly sweet, spicy, under 120 calories per muffin, and a great way to beat those chocolate cravings!

Healthy Chocolate Muffins
Cook time:  25 minutes
Serving:  9 muffins
Calories Per Serving:  ~120 calories

1 egg
2 mashed bananas
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce 
1 tsp vanilla
12 drops of liquid stevia 

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder 
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp instant coffee
1 tsp cinnamon 
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips 

Preheat oven to 350ºF.  Grease muffin tin.  Whisk wet ingredients.  Mix dry ingredients and add to the wet ingredients.  Fold in chocolate chips.  Bake for about 20-25 minutes.