June 28, 2014

pavement coffeehouse

 the chia (vegan tofu cream cheese, avocado spread, swiss cheese, sprouts, lettuce, tomato) + multigrain bagel

 the awakening (eggs, caramelized onions, arugula, sun-dried tomato pesto, feta) + rustic bread

harvest root (homemade hummus, feta, beets, carrots, greens) + seven grain bread



vegan raisin scone

cafe view from my window seat

VENUE //   The largest of the Pavement Boston locations, the Fenway location is by far my favorite Pavement location and my favorite coffee spot in Boston.  I would say I come here at least once a weekend for a nice, cold iced latte and some "me" time.  Located right in the heart of Northeastern University on the other side of Mass Ave., Pavement is my little escape from the hustle and bustle of Back Bay.  Unlike the smaller Newbury and Bolyston locations, the Fenway location is spacious, and I have always been able to grab a small table or seat at the window (knock on wood!).  In terms of decor, I would say Pavement looks like your typical neighborhood, hipster coffee shop and even features artwork from local artists!

DRINK //   Not only does Pavement serve a great iced latte (basically the only coffee drink I order), they serve a variety of other homemade specialties in the summer, ranging from vanilla cream cold brew to spicy ginger ale.  I haven't been as adventurous to try all of their new drinks, but am a huge fan of ginger so really like their spicy ginger ale.

FOOD //   The food here is so darn good, that I sometimes just come here for their sandwiches ($6-7).  Pavement is one of the few places in the area to serve healthy, vegan dishes, and one of the only places in Back Bay where I've seen tempeh on the menu.  So far, I've tried the gatherer, the chia, and the harvest root and am a fan of all three.  I would have to say that my favorite sandwich though is the chia -- such a simple, classic dish that is done right.  My favorite item here though is definitely the vegan tofu cream cheese.  My god.  I'm not sure what's in here aside from the tofu and some shredded veggies, but it is fabulous.  

SERVICE //   Don't have too much to say in terms of service given the counter service nature of the business, but will say that the cashiers are always super friendly!

FUN FACT //   Abundance of outlets + wifi (though not sure how much it costs) + great coffee + healthy food makes this place a student's or in my case a yuppie's dream study spot

DINING TIP //   I like the vegan tofu cream cheese here so much that I've actually just purchased some on its own to have at home.  It's around a buck fifty for a small plastic container's worth 

DRINK TIP //   If you're feeling a bit more adventurous, try the new summer menu items to spice up your day!


Pavement Coffeehouse 
44 Gainsborough Street